Sunday, September 24, 2006

Small Town Highlights

Friday my elderly neighbor fell and injured her back. I took her husband to the hospital in an adjoining community while she rode in the ambulance. It's great to see small town volunteers and the work they do in the Fire and Ambulance Department. I did that sort of thing in my younger years and have been away from it for a number of years. It's great to see the new younger folks at work. They have great equipment and even better training and it's all volunteer. Anyone who thinks that the youth of today are slackers and uninvolved, should see these young people at work. I suspect that small towns all over our country are blessed with people like this. I'm sure that they can be found everywhere if we just look.
When we got back from the hospital, he was nearly overwhelmed by folks wanting to help. He told me today that they have enough food to last a month. All unsolicited, all an outpouring of love for the two of them. I can't speak for large cities, but here in our little town (pop. 1900) there is still plenty of community spirit, and it's great to see it at work.

No comments: