Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Religion and the internet

This morning while I was working on my Elliptical Glider I got to thinking about all of the religious (I guess) e-mails I get. I suppose most everybody gets these things that start off with a sweet little prayer and then wind up challenging you to forward it to as many people as you can. They almost always have some dire warning about what will happen to you if you don't forward it to 10,000 people or so. Others use the guilt trip on you saying things like "delete this if you don't love Jesus" or " forward this to as many people as you can unless you are ashamed of loving Jesus." The ones that really get me are the ones that rate how quickly your prayer will be answered depending on the number of people you forward it to. I delete them all. My God does not work that way. It really gets me when I get one of these syrupy e-mails from someone who hasn't seen the inside of a church in 40 years. I preach every Sunday to my little group about God's love for us all...He doesn't need help from the internet. I guess some people feel that sending an e-mail makes them religious. It works better when they feed the hungry, clothe the naked and protect the widows and orphans.

No comments: