Sunday, October 08, 2006

Old Age

I just saw 'The Guardian" with my wife. Kevin Costner plays an over the hill rescue swimmer for the U.S. Coast Guard who tells the equally over the hill bartender/singer (female) "it's hell to get old". Her reply is great. She says and I can't quite quote, "it's great getting older, I've seen thousands of sunsets, drunk a lot of great drinks, sung a lot of songs, screwed my share of guys and I wouldn't give up a thing. It's been a great ride and I can't wait to see what happens next." That's my kind of woman. I turn 67 in a few days and it has been a wonderful trip and I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next. I compare each sunset with the thousands I've seen and rate them. God does a wonderful job of painting the sky each evening, every sunset is different and not one is boring. Of course, I'm somewhat biased, we have a fantastic horizon here and most of our sunsets are spectacular. The rest are just stupendous. I wouldn't give up a second of my life to re-live, even the tough times. Not much of a rant, but I do get tired of folks complaining about growing old. If you consider the alternative, growing old is fantastic, it means we're still alive and ready for something new. Bring on the old age!!

No comments: