Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Anger

I was listening to NPR today and the guy being interviewed was talking about the amount of anger in blogs. He seemed to be surprized that there was so much anger being expressed. I think the reason for the anger is fairly easy to explain. First of all, until the advent of the Blog-o-sphere the only way to express anger to the masses was with a letter to the editor. Letters to the editor are a weak substitute for a good rant, especially since it will be a week or more until you see your opinions expressed in print, if at all. With blogs you can rant to your heart's content, and it is printed immediately. You have sent out your feelings to a huge audience and they can respond to your rant and you might even get a good arguement going. You might even get famous! Someone might read your piece and be so struck by your well reasoned thinking and your deathless prose that they might link to you and get others to read your stuff. People may even agree with you and start a world wide revolution for the betterment of humankind.

Of course, chances are that no one will read your stuff, but at least you have gotten it off your chest. I don't think there's any more anger than before, just an easier way to express it. Just look at my title, Rural Rantings, I was looking for a place to let off steam without getting my wife upset. I find that I really don't have much to rant about, but it is kind of fun to do the stream of conciousness thing. This way we can say stuff we wouldn't say to friends or neighbors without offending them. I think we are all frustrated authors who have found an outlet. So Rant on.

No comments: